Today I made a decision to postpone my frozen transfer.
On Friday I had another blood test to check my iron levels and my thyroid. I got the results today and they showed my iron was right back up to a good level (yay for the iron liquid, steaks and spinach) but that my thyroid has continued to go up despite being on thyroxine for 1.5 weeks and is now at 3.9. I don’t have a history of poor thyroid function. Following my last miscarriage (which was unexplained as it was a PGS tested embryo) my thyroid was bang in the normal for fertility range (1.6). It has been a little high once before after my 3rd miscarriage (about 2.7) but never knowingly this high. For me it’s too high for comfort. In the UK a practising range appears to be 0.25 – 4.5 mIU/L. Some clinicians argue that upper TSH levels shouldn’t exceed 3 (despite what the wanker at my GP surgery said to me the other week) and many fertility experts say it shouldn’t be higher than 2.5. It’s also likely to rise during pregnancy so if it starts off high then this could be an issue. Studies have shown that high TSH causes miscarriage. It may also affect implantation though I found it hard to find definitive advice / research on this and my consultant said it wasn’t clear if it impacted on implantation or not.
After leaving a couple of panicky messages at my clinic my consultant finally phoned me back. He said to increase the thyroxine to 2 tablets a day. However, he was fairly ambivalent about transfer. In the end he agreed that on the whole it might be better to postpone. I think this was largely to appease me and partly because he couldn’t say one way or the other whether it would affect implantation. I actually felt quite relieved despite the waste of money and having put drugs into my body for no reason. It would be far worse if I’d transferred my 2 embryos tomorrow and then spent the next 2 weeks in even more of a panic than usual. If it failed I’d always feel I made a bad decision and we really are close to, if not at the end of our journey – we can’t afford to go ahead if things aren’t looking good.
As I’m going straight into another cycle my scratch shouldn’t need to be repeated. As of tonight I’m off the horrid fake hormones for a few days. Hopefully my period starts quite soon. Hopefully the thyroxine kicks in. Hopefully I’m only postponing for 2-3 weeks.
So whilst this has been a big fat waste of time, money and messing with my body for the last 4 weeks on the plus side I won’t be doing a pregnancy test whilst on holiday in Barcelona and I’ll allow myself to have a couple of drinks whilst there (though not too many as I’ve been so good this last month and don’t want to undo the good work), plus I won’t have to worry about avoiding certain foods. I’ve also got the most horrendous set of deadlines in my new job over the next week and was wondering how this would sit with the transfer and my desire to try and relax. I might try to take a couple of days off once I know when the new transfer date is though – it’s made me realise I was trying to juggle way too much this week.
I actually feel like I took back some control of my body and my mental health today. I didn’t realise how uncomfortable I was feeling about the transfer until I reflected on it tonight.